Friday, April 13, 2012

Golden Age Throwbacks: Behind the Scenes

I'm on vacation this week, but I thought I'd throw up a quick post while away with some thoughts about the Golden Age Thowbacks project.

I thought I'd talk a little about the process I'm using to create the Golden Age superhero ICONS writeups. Right now I'm limiting myself to the most popular heroes from the pages of the now defunct Nedor (a.k.a. Standard) Comics, but eventually I plan on exploring characters from other publishers as well. I chose Nedor first for several reasons - the characters are clearly in the public domain, the characters are semi-well known, at least to true believers and comic book and supers RPG fans, and finally, I really like them from a historical perspective. While some are clearly "knock offs" of other prior established characters (some still around today), others are a little more original, and all have at least one feature to their powers or personalities that make them unique. The Nedor superheroes harken back to a bygone age of optimism and patriotism when the lines were clearly defined between Good and Evil, Right and Wrong - a nation united not divided despite its differences. There are morality plays here that serve to remind the reader of the principle beliefs America was founded on. Case in point - while researching Nedor's Doc Strange, I came across this issue where Doc confronts anti-immigrant fervor and the relevance of the lesson still resonates today.

Each Golden Age superhero post I present includes a References and Further Reading section where you can explore the invaluable resources I used in the origin writeup and for determining the character's ICONS stats. My favorite part of the process (which is also the most time-consuming) is reading the actual comics where these characters' stories are presented first hand and taking notes. I find that's the best way to truly understand not only the character's powers (and limitations) but their motivations as well. The notes are very helpful when I stat the character up in the ICONS Character Folio program - especially when I need to come up with suitable Aspects (qualities and challenges) for the character. I owe a debt of gratitude to each of those blogs and Web sites that chronicle and preserve the Golden Age of Comics for all of us and I encourage you to check them out.

I'll be back early next week with more ICONS goodness and the next installment of Golden Age Throwbacks: DOC STRANGE!

Thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment