Wednesday, January 16, 2013

BIFF! BAM! POW! Cards for ICONS

I've always enjoyed using drama decks (e.g. Swashbuckling Cards [PDF], Plot Twist Cards, Fortune Cards etc.) in my roleplaying game sessions. I think they add an exciting new dimension to play and help to shake things up a bit. The narrator's toolkit for the old DC Universe RPG from West End Games even included a deck of Dramatic Effect cards, and the JLA Sourcebook supplement included a few additional cards. Inspired by all of these and more, a few months back I started to test out some drama cards in my regular ICONS game sessions. Nothing too fancy - they were originally handwritten on index cards. They got a good response from my players, and we began to tinker with them, toss a few out, and add new cards to the deck as the mood struck us (we spent way too much time coming up with something suitable for "Officially Whelmed", the best Young Justice quote ever!) and saw how they worked in play. Thus the deck of BIFF! BAM! POW! cards was born...

I finally got around to compiling all the best cards and my rules for using them, and I decided to lay them out in a desktop publishing program so I could share the PDF will my fellow ICONS fans. These print out quite nicely on card-stock paper with a color inkjet or laser printer and have guidelines for cutting. You can download the BIFF! BAM! POW! CARDS PDF from my Downloads page, or directly from the link below:

BIFF! BAM! POW! CARDS for ICONS (version 1.1 updated 1/18/2013 with new card "backs" designed by Paul Fini)


Let me know what you think in the comments below. Suggestions for new cards and great quotes for card titles are always welcome!

Enjoy, and thanks for reading!

4 comments:

  1. Nice work on the cards! I think it's a good element to the game. If you send me your email I've created a 'front' to the deck of cards. I'll be more than happy to send it to you. You can add it to your pdf file if you like.

    blissinfinite67 at gmail

    ReplyDelete
  2. Joe,

    What a clever idea! I like the cards very much!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks guys!

    I'll be updating the PDF very soon with a page of card "backs" designed by bliss_infinte. That way if you double-side print it will look like a real deck!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've updated the PDF file today to version 1.1 with new card "backs" designed by Paul Fini. Enjoy! And thanks again, Paul - that was definitely what the cards needed!

    ReplyDelete