When creating a love interest for your character, there are several key questions you have to ask yourself:
- What does the love interest do for a living?
- Does the love interest know about your character's secret superheroic identity?
- Is the love interest a superhero as well?
- Is the love interest secretly a supervillain?
- What supervillains know the identity of your character's love interest?
- Am I putting this person I love at risk because of what I do, and if so, how?
A love interest should be a collaborative character, one developed jointly between the player and GM (Game Master), or if the love interest is with another player's character, the relationship should be developed between both players with the GM's approval. Everyone should try to work together to create a fun and challenging roleplaying experience for all.
As a connection, this opens up a lot of storytelling possibilities involving love interests. Supervillains will frequently target the love interest of a superhero in their evil machinations, making the significant other a potential weakness. A love interest's career or station in life can sometimes provide the superhero with an important connection in his or her fight against crime - reporters and police officers can provide valuable insider information, scientists and professors can provide knowledge and cutting-edge technology, a lawyer can defend you when needed. The CEO of major corporation can provide you with all of this and more. Face it, Tiger, you just hit the jackpot!
And just like your love interest is there for you, you must be there for them in their time of need. If you should fail, therein lies the tragedy that is the stuff of legends.
Thanks for reading, and see you on Monday!